Entering an address into Google Maps and Bing Maps can show you two very different locations. In most of these cases, Google can't find the place and shows the same-named street in another city.
In a past article I explained why I prefer to use Bing Maps to locate streets in my ancestors' Italian towns. The other day I was looking at one town with a very dense cluster of buildings. I knew there had to be alleys running between all the buildings. How else would someone walk around? Google Maps showed no street or alley names in the cluster. Bing Maps showed a ton.
But I love using Google Street View to see what it looks like to stand where my ancestors stood. It's rare that Bing Maps lets me click to see the view from the street. This is why I often search both map sites side by side.
Why Latitude and Longitude Coordinates Matter
Here's what made me want to add coordinates to my family tree. There are too many cases where I look at a location in the Places tab of Family Tree Maker, and it's wrong. The map isn't showing the address I entered. It's doing what Google Maps sometimes does—showing me a similar street name in another town. Which is weird because Family Tree Maker uses Bing Maps as its database.
![]() |
| Seek out the missing and incorrect GPS coordinates in your family tree with this free tool. |
I want to return to my ancestral hometowns in Italy. There are places I still want to see—and a couple of hometowns I've never visited. When I get there, it would be fantastic to pull out my iPhone and know exactly where to go. I don't want to risk getting there and finding an error in the FTM map.
See What You Have and What You're Missing
My family tree has been growing again as I work through missing source citations and add more facts. My tree now has 86,188 people, and the vast majority are from small towns in Italy. My tree includes 10,269 places. Family Tree Analyzer shows you the places in your tree that have latitude and longitude coordinates.
To see which locations in your tree have coordinates and which ones need them:
- Open your GEDCOM file in Family Tree Analyzer.
- Click the Locations tab. This puts you on the Tree View tab in the second row of tabs.
- Click the Places tab that's on the same level as Tree View. It's the last one on the right.
You will see different icons:
- A blue question mark means you need more information. I have soldiers who died in Ethiopia and Armenia. The map in Family Tree Maker is showing the right place, but Family Tree Analyzer marks them as Not Searched. I will add GPS coordinates in Family Tree Maker so they'll be in my next GEDCOM export.
- A green check mark means the place is on the map and shouldn't need any attention. In the Locations/Countries tab, you'll see the coordinates and a Geocode Status of Google Matched.
- A white check mark inside a green circle means GPS coordinates are in place. You should see the coordinates there in the table.
You will have places showing a blue question mark that don't need anything from you. Why? Because they don't have any facts attached to them. For instance, a man in my family tree was born in Coleman, Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada. I have GPS coordinates for Coleman. But Crowsnest Pass and Alberta have no facts, so they need no coordinates.
There may be other blue question marks you can't resolve. In my tree, an Italian soldier died in Kosovo, and I know the name of the town. But Serbia doesn't recognize the independence of the Republic of Kosovo. So the map in Family Tree Maker doesn't know what to do with it. That's above my pay-grade, so I'll leave it alone. I have another type of problem with a soldier who died in Libya. I have a town name, but I can't locate the town or its state on the map for certain.
Work Through the Project
In Family Tree Analyzer, click the Export menu at the top of the window and select Locations to Excel. Then sort the spreadsheet by the Geocoded column. Doing this, I see:
- 1,374 locations with latitude and longitude coordinates (way more than I expected).
- 774 Google Matched locations that show coordinates in Family Tree Analyzer. I plan to check a bunch of them to make sure Family Tree Maker is showing the right place. If not, I'll add the coordinates.
- 8,198 locations with no coordinates. They say they are Not Searched. The first one I checked looks correct in Family Tree Maker, so I'm hoping most of them are fine. I'm an optimist.
- 121 locations marked as Partial Match. There are different kinds of partial matches:
- 73 Partial Match (Google)
- 30 Partial Match (Levels)
- 18 Partial Match (Ord Surv)
I didn't find a definition of the three types of Partial Match, but I checked a few against Google Maps. They seem fine. In a few cases, the address no longer exists. For instance, my parents' first home is now the site of a sports arena, so the best I can do is estimate the spot. (I found a map from the right year, but it ends a short distance before the sport arena.) If I add coordinates to Family Tree Maker, I should be able to clear up all the partial matches.
Copy and Paste the Coordinates
To copy and paste the coordinates into your family tree:
- Pinpoint the location you want in Google Maps or Bing Maps.
- Right-click at that location to reveal numbers that look something like this: 30.56951350255699, 49.039306549833455.
- Click those numbers to copy them. You can paste them in the Location field found on the Places tab in Family Tree Maker. See what the best spot is for these numbers in your family tree software.
When I don't have a specific address, I do the best I can. I put my mouse in the approximate center of the town, state, or country and right-click for coordinates.
Important! GPS coordinates in the Places/Location field are not available outside of Family Tree Maker. You can't get to them from your tree on Ancestry or in the Ancestry app.
You can make your GPS coordinates accessible from your smartphone with a feature of Family Tree Analyzer. Do this after you've entered all the coordinates you want. Here's how:
- From the Maps menu, choose Export to Google MyMaps. This will save a *.kml file to your computer.
- Go to Google Maps and click the Saved tab, then the Maps tab.
- At the bottom of the window, click CREATE MAP.
- Click Create.
- Click Untitled map to give your map name and description.
- Click Import and upload your *.kml file.
With this custom Google Map, you can use your smartphone to navigate to any location in your family tree! Open the Google Maps app and tap You at the bottom of the screen. Scroll way down and tap Maps (it's next to Timeline). Your new custom map will be there, ready to use.

No comments:
Post a Comment
You may leave an anonymous post if you don't have a Google account. The author screens each comment for spam before it appears here. Spam will not be published.