Informational Pages

▼

06 October 2026

Stop and Admire Your Family Tree Milestones

On Saturday I made my backup files and closed down Family Tree Maker a couple of hours early. Why would I do such a thing? Because I reached a big milestone. I wanted to savor it a while before moving on to the next one.

How many milestones have you reached in your genealogy research? Think back to when you started building your family tree. How much did you know?

A painting shows a long road with milestones marking the way.
These types of genealogy victories are important milestones in your family tree journey.

I grew up knowing the names of my eight great grandparents. That's a great start! I'd met only two of them, and I was too young to remember it. Only four of them had emigrated to the United States; the other four stayed in Italy. But I never realized I didn't know one great grandmother's maiden name until 2003 when my aunt said it was Caruso. That was the year I began building my tree.

And that's when I started reaching family tree milestones.

Milestone 1: Locating Ancestors' Place of Origin

My ancestors arrived in America in 1898. First two of my 2nd great grandparents came. A year later, two of my great grandparents came, pregnant with Grandma.

Grandma's last living sibling told me her family came from Avellino and Pastene. That was only a clue in my genealogy trail. You see, Avellino is both a city and a province in Italy. So where did they come from? And Pastene, well, I was hearing it as Pastena, and I headed off in the wrong direction for a while.

Then I found my people. An 1898 ship manifest said my 2nd great grandparents came from Sant'Angelo a Cupolo. It used an abbreviation of the town, but when I found it on the map, I saw a section of that town called Pastene. At last I was on the right track. Grandma's family came from the Pastene in Sant'Angelo a Cupolo, Benevento, Italy.

Figuring out who came from Avellino—and where—took a few more years. But I did it.

Milestone 2: Finding Documents from Another Country

I spent a few years at Family History Centers viewing microfilmed vital records. I viewed only my maternal grandfather Adamo's hometown, Baselice. I knew next to nothing about his family. I had his parents' names and those of two of his siblings.

Once I located Adamo's mother's birth record in 1856, and his father's in 1850, I was ready to start climbing that tree. Soon I realized I should document everyone in this small town's records. Otherwise I wouldn't know who was related to whom. Too many people had the same name. By 2012, I'd added more than 15,000 people from Baselice to my family tree.

Today this is much easier because these records are available online. All my ancestors came from small, neighboring towns with tons of intermarriage. That's why my family tree has 86,957 people today. And there will be many more.

Milestone 3: Breaking Down a Brick Wall

So who came from Avellino and where? It had to be someone on my maternal grandmother's branch, but it wasn't her parents. The answer came from Grandma's uncle's World War I draft registration card. He said he was born in Tufo, Avellino. I rushed off to a Family History Center and by sheer coincidence, they had a reel of microfilm for the town of Tufo. Someone else had ordered it, so I got to view it.

I found Grandma's uncle's birth record, and those of two of his siblings who died young. No one in my living family knew about these children. Grandma's parents were from Pastene. Did her grandmother Colomba come from Tufo? I couldn't find her there.

But I kept on pushing. I found Colomba's brothers living in Tufo. They had children there. But at least one of these documents told me Colomba's brothers weren't born in Tufo. They came from the neighboring town of Santa Paolina, Avellino.

At long last, I found Antonio and Colomba's 1871 marriage record in Santa Paolina. This confirmed that Antonio was born in Pastene and Colomba was born in Santa Paolina. Open up the floodgates!

Milestone 4: Making Quality Source Citations

That brings me to Saturday's milestone. For two years I've been revisiting Italian documents online to create source citations. I used Family Tree Analyzer to export a list of something like 70,000 people in my tree with zero source citations. The horror!

I worked my way through one location at a time, picking off the smaller ones first. On Saturday I finished citing sources for everyone in my family tree from Santa Paolina! That leaves a handful of unsourced people from the USA, England, Ireland, Canada, and Japan. I give them another try once in a while.

But the frightening bulk of what's left are people from two of my Italian towns. From Pesco Sannita, I have a whopping 9,646 people to cite. And, saving the scariest for last, from Baselice, I have 18,594 people to cite.

Let me explain. Those Baselice people came from the microfilm I was viewing way back when. So I cited the microfilm numbers. But guess what? You can't get microfilm anymore. So I threw out those source citations leaving 18,594 people with nothing to show for themselves.

Also, Using Shortcuts!

The good news is, I keep finding ways to be more efficient in this source citation project. I completed Santa Paolina ahead of schedule because of a couple of tricks I put into use toward the end. I can't wait to work on the next town with these new tricks up my sleeve.

Let me share one that's been a huge time saver for me. I'm working with the Italian records on the Antenati Portal. There's a separate collection (a separate web page) for each available year's:

Instead of opening tons of tabs in my web browser, or re-opening a collection I used before, I'm using a new trick. It's a Firefox browser feature—I don't know which other browsers have this. Firefox lets you drag one tab onto another to create a tab group. You can name that group, save that group, expand and collapse that group. Tomorrow you can open all your groups again in a flash.

I created eight tab groups for Santa Paolina death records. I made one group for each decade from the 1810s through the 1880s. Within each group, I arranged the tabs in order. The 1820s group has tabs for 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823, etc. Now it's much faster to locate a particular person's death record and cite the source. Each page is ready and waiting in memory.

My plan is to create similar groups for my 9,646 Pesco Sannita people right from the start.

How About Your Milestones?

What other milestones have you reached or are you trying to reach?

  • Are you putting together binders or charts to share with family? I made 40 copies of a large chart to share with my Sarracino/Saviano cousins many years ago. That created quite the buzz.
  • Are you separating truth from myth? My sons' 2nd great grandfather was NOT the brother of the captain of the Titanic. The captain didn't even have brothers!
  • Are you gathering documents for membership to the DAR or for dual citizenship? I don't qualify for any of that. I'm descended from peasants.
  • Are you writing a book or detailed paper about a particular ancestor? I've done a bit of that, and even worked on my own life story. It's a lot of fun to track down all your past addresses, schools, and jobs.

Be sure to celebrate your family tree milestones. You can share your news with friends and family and even on social media. Or go ahead and take the rest of the day off. Cheers to you, intrepid genealogy researcher!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, DiAnn! And congratulations on your milestone too. It's all too easy to focus on what's not done yet, all the loose ends, missing facts and database cleanup, and forget to appreciate what is done.

    ReplyDelete

You may leave an anonymous post if you don't have a Google account. The author screens each comment for spam before it appears here. Spam will not be published.