30 July 2024

6 Steps to Finding Your Living Cousins

When you search for contemporary cousins, your family tree really comes to life.
When you search for contemporary cousins, your family tree really comes to life.

I'm coming to the end of my one-month subscription to Ancestry Pro Tools. I took the important step of following blog reader Jon Smith's suggestion. I used the "Ancestry DNA Match Table Maker" spreadsheet to download all my matches. (This powerful tool is the creation of Greg Clarke.) Now I have one spreadsheet with 4 tabs containing every DNA match for myself, Mom, Dad, and my husband.

I went through my parents' matches sharing 30 cM or more with them and color-coded everyone who's also on my list. Then I used a neat Excel trick to display those people's research notes from my tab on Mom or Dad's tabs. That ensures that I can see who I've identified and what I know about their families. (Leave a comment if you want me to explain this trick.)

Using tips I shared with you last week (see "How to Solve a DNA Match Using Shared Matches"), I've solved a ton of matches. I've discovered cousins I never knew existed! I solved matches who were a complete mystery with the help of Enhanced Shared Matches.

Researching Living People

I'm so used to researching my long-dead Italian relatives. My recent focus on DNA matches has me locating living people for the first time. I didn't realize how much success I could have in researching the living.

Here are 6 steps to follow when searching for living cousins:

  1. Start with an ancestor you can identify. I know, tons of your matches have no family tree to show. But what if their first cousin does? Look for an ancestor you can pin down using a search.
  2. Gather every document for that ancestor: immigration, naturalization, censuses, draft registration cards, death records or indexes.
  3. Build out their family members through the years using the censuses you found. Add to their details with individual searches for each family member. See who they married and which kids they had.
  4. Look for an obituary with the names of children and their spouses, grandchildren, and hometowns. OMG do I love a good obituary! My newspapers.com subscription is essential here. You can't get the full story from an obituary summary. Which names are the deceased's children and which are spouses? I've also been following my own advice to extract text from an obituary instead of retyping it.
  5. Search public index records, marriage indexes and announcements, school yearbooks, and more to confirm all you can about family members.
  6. Turn to social media to see who you can find. If available, look at their friends and see who comments on their photos. Did the subject post a photo of dad, and did someone comment on it using the dad's name? That's exactly what cracked one mystery DNA match for me.

Discovering Where Your Paths Crossed

Using this process, I've ID'd DNA matches who helped me find my ancestors' lost cousins. Who knew one of mom's Saviano cousins wound up in Cleveland, not far from where dad once lived? A DNA match helped me find my connection (7C1R) to a former bishop of Cleveland I'd heard about many years ago. And I found that my brother went to high school in New Jersey with one of our 7th cousins. You never know where your cousins may be.

This is the value of DNA matches for me. My direct ancestor chart is in fantastic shape. But this research tells me what became of my direct ancestors' closest relatives. It's an exciting, coincidence-filled journey.

In a week I'll return to adding source citations for my thousands of Italian nationals, and doing it efficiently. But I'll also take every opportunity to follow the families of those who emigrated to America.

If you're interested in finding living cousins you've never met, the tools you need are out there.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've found my "Ancestry DNA Match Table Maker" spreadsheet useful! I'm currently working on a spreadsheet that will allow you to organize your Matches of Matches, and will share that with you when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your skills, Greg! I wasn't clear how to cite the creator of this fantastic spreadsheet, but now I will add your name to this article.

      Delete
  2. Yes, please share your excel trick!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, Karen. First, it's helpful to give the different tabs in your spreadsheet a very simple name. I named mine DiAnn, Mom, Dad. To display my tab's notes about a particular DNA match on Mom or Dad's tab, I first note which spreadsheet cell has the note. For instance, L76. Now I go to Mom or Dad's tab, find that same DNA match, and in the notes column I enter this:

      =DiAnn!L76

      If your tab name has multiple words, use single quotes:

      ='DiAnn DNA Matches'!L76

      So now when I'm looking through Mom's or Dad's matches, I can see exactly what I know about them.

      Delete
    2. Even easier, type the '=' sign in the cell you want as the destination, navigate to the cell you want copied (change tabs, single click on the cell) and then hit enter. It will fill in the proper formula as you described above.

      Delete
    3. I know you're correct, but I find it easier to just think "76" and type the formula. It saves any "mis-click" errors.

      Delete
  3. Wow, quite a clever way to make the most out of the tools and further your cousin research at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What keeps driving me to push further is the amount of coincidences. I think 85% of the people within 2 square blocks of my parents in the Bronx in the 1940s were distant cousins!

      Delete
  4. You are incredible, DiAnn. When I receive your “newsletters,” I KNOW each one will be full of new strategies I have yet to have discovered. (Been doing this off and on for 26 years, but am an eager life-long learner.) Have not been able to find the time to apply every one but I know WHERE to look when I can work on my research. You have a gift, thank you so very much for sharing your valuable time and research strategies. They make a difference! My birth father was first generation Italian, and I am looking forward to concentrating fully on that line with your Italian know-how—you motivate me each time I read your email to set that date sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much, Cassie! I started this blog in 2017 because I felt I had been applying a business approach to genealogy and having great success. I wanted to share my methods and projects. I really appreciate your comment.

      Delete
    2. And, we thank you for all of your efforts & know-how!

      Delete